Flax seeds and oats are on the list of high magnesium foods. But how do you get flax seeds into your diet? These pancakes are delicious, one of my favorite flax seed recipes, and are a great way to start your day with a magnesium boost.
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoon quick cooking oats
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, separated
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, flax seeds, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Carefully stir the wet ingredients into the dry mix until moistened.
- In another small bowl, beat the egg white on medium until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter.
- Brush hot griddle with butter and pour ¼ cup of the batter.
- Flip when bubbles for on the top and cook the second side until golden brown
- Top with fresh fruit, maple syrup, whipped cream, honey, Nutella or any condiment you like on your pancakes.